for Gail & Steven Scott's Service Station Salon website...
They had already registered two domains at ABCInc-Domains.com, and I added a domain hosting account there. They needed only single-domain Linux hosting (about $60/year) even though they will use both domain names. The 3-domain and multiple-domain choices are overkill except in unusual or special sites, and that doesn't apply here.
ABCInc-Domains uses cPanel for your site administration dashboard.
- Created email forwarders, including one for firstname.lastname@example.org
(I prefer to use forwarders instead of actual mail accounts.)
- Find Preferences, then Update Contact Information
(I changed to my email address for right now.)
- Found and clicked on the Wordpress icon in the Softaculous section
- Left protocol at http://
- Chose the default domain (TheServiceStationSalon.com)
- Changed the directory from "wp" to nothing (removed "wp" from form) so that Wordpress would install in the root directory
- Changed Site Name from My Blog to The Service Station Solon
- Changed Site Description to Clearwater, Florida (will change late)
- Did not enable multi-site ~ left the block unchecked
- Changed Admin Username to something other than "admin"
- Copied the suggested admin password to notepad
- Changed the email admin address to a forwarder created during the prep
- Opened the "+" symbol
- Database name and table prefix is OK
- Auto Upgrade
- Auto Upgrade Wordpress Plugins
- Auto Upgrade Wordpress Themes
- Automated backups once a week
- Backup rotation set to 2
Logged into site domain.com/wp-admin
In the dashboard, opened all installed plugins
Removed Akismit and Hello Dolley
Installed the following plug-ins:
- Child Themify by John Bolch
- Theme File Duplicator by John Sschwab
- Contact Form 7 by Takayuki Miyoshi
- Wordfence Security by Wordfence, then changed settings
- Basic Options: Automatically Update Word fence
- Basic Options: Entered admin email address for notifications (Rick+WPWordFence)
- Saved Wordfence Basic settings
- Advance Options: Login Security Options
- Changed lockouts from 20 to 2 attempts
- Enable "Immediately lock out invalid usernames"
- Add admin and the domain names ServiceStationSalon and TheServiceStationSalon to "Immediately block the IP of users who try to sign in as these usernames"
- Saved Wordfence Advance settings
- Installed the Weaver Xtreme Theme
- Created a Child weaver-xtreme-child Theme
- Activated the child theme
- Installed the 3 recommended Weaver Xtreme plug-ins
- Went back to cPanel and uploaded the child theme snapshot.png image from my PC
Changed the front page from a blog to a static page...
Let The Fun Begin!!!
...finally, it's time to begin building the website: